Saturday 11 June 2011

The Out Campaign

The Scarlet A Located on the left is a link to  Outcampaign.org.


Set up by Profesor Richard Dawkins, the site aims to encourage Atheists to come "out of the closet" and offers encouragement and support to do this. 


This may seem trivial to many of you, but consider this:-


I am an Atheist, very openly so, but I wasnt always. My mother and her side of the family are Christian, and attend church regularly,   and until the age of about 12, I did too. Over time I lost whatever small part of faith I may have had, and eventually decided, after much thought, to tell my mother that I was an atheist, and did not believe in God. It was not easy, telling your parents "no" is hard enough, but this was a belief system that had been (completely wrongfully i.m.o.) imposed on me since birth. It was a big part of my life, or rather it was made to be. No-one wants to upset their family, and this occasion was no different.


I'll never forget what she said and how she reacted. She got very upset, became tearful and told me that she thought that she had failed. She supposedly, at my christening (something which I had no choice in) promised to bring me up "in a certain way". It was quite shocking, how much importance she places on things that cannot be proven. And whatever she might say, I maintain that faith is not a virtue.


 I am fortunate that my family are not stricter, otherwise they probably wouldn't be speaking to me right now, but regardless- I was deeply hurt by that statement. All I could say to it at the time is that there is good without god, and you're looking at it. You don't need to believe in god to be a good person. In fact I know (and know of) a few thoroughly despicable Christians- and lets face it, God isn't much better. Thankfully, me and my mother still get on very well, despite our difference in belief coming up often, even today. She despises debating it although I would quite happily. Belief cannot be exempt from debate.


To an Atheist, if you are in a religious family, coming out can be as difficult as coming out as homosexual. and indeed there are some similarities:-


  • A fear of persecution and discrimination
  • Fear of rejection by loved ones
  • Conflicting ideas with those of your upbringing
  • Hiding it can be upsetting
But there's no need to. You shouldn't have to be miserable in the dark- putting up with things and putting on a front for a quiet life. It never did me any favours. which is why I say to all atheists who read this-

Please stand up, speak out and be true to yourselves!

If anyone reads this and feels that they are in a similar situation, please send me an email on ChasingOblivion@live.co.uk where I shall more than happily talk with you privately and offer you help and support, and maybe some advice if you feel you need it. You never see "Atheist pride" marches, (as daft as that might sound) but you should still not be afraid to voice your thoughts and opinions.

In the meantime, please visit outcampaign.org!

No comments:

Post a Comment