Thursday 17 May 2012

If you're reading this... Welcome back!

Don't get me wrong, I've had plenty to moan about over time, to be honest I'm not sure what's stopped me from posting on this blog.


Oh thats right.


The outside world.


I am astounded at times of the importance some people place upon their blogs. When I started doing  this I hoped people would read it and find it funny, and that it might be passed around and continue to make people laugh as time went by and I made more posts. Now I see the desaturated realism behind it.


No-one gives a fuck what people write in their blogs.


Take Tumblr for instance. Scroll down the page of your feed, endlessly refilling itself  like a silo, whilst all the time pushing everything else down below the surface. (you can find anything if you scroll long enough. I was on Tumblr at one point but I quit for one very clear reason. People don't post anything original very often, for the amount of posts they make, they don't have a lot to say. If I want to see hundreds upon hundreds of "LOL's" or memes, I'll go to 4chan, or MemeBase, or icanhascheezburger. 


When I read a blog, if there is no substance, I truly will not enjoy it. I will not expend bandwidth (both digital and mental) processing other people's meaningless reposted guff designed to get a few cheap laughs. 


There is also a deeper apathy here that I wish to explore- people don't seem to WANT to take time over what other people say. 


A long while ago I used to do regular long posts dealing with specific topics and arguing points- promoting debate when I could. From time to time I actually recieved comments from faceless individuals reading "TL;DR" 


"What does that mean?" I thought. Googled it. The answer reverberates within the very depths of my brain.


Too Long; Didn't Read.


Is the entire blogging population stricken with incurable, untreatable ADHD? Why is it that we can glide through pictures of cats starting at the ceiling, but not take any time to read the written (or in this case, typed) word? There has to be people out there as indignant as me about this. I can't possibly be the only person left on the internet that actually cares about what people have to say beyond what they had for lunch that day. However, perhaps I'm missing the point- that people don't want to read other people ranting or complaining about something- which I suppose  I can understand. I have had other people say to me something along the lines of:-


"This stuff you rant about, why does it even matter to you?"
"Why spend time and energy talking about this?"

"Why don't you just kep your opinions to yourself?

or, in an isolated case

"You're not a Christian, so why do you care what they believe? why cant you just leave it alone?"


The answer is simple.


Because I care.


I would hate to wake up one morning, see something completely outrageous, wrong, tragic, bigoted, sad, racist or hurtful and just think "Yeah... *sigh*"


I can't just sit by when Churches tell people it's wrong to be gay, or that putting on a condom doesnt stop the spread of HIV.


I can't just leave it when I smell the noxious odour of complete bullshit.


I can't just shut up when I hear that people blow themselves up saying "God is Great"


I can't just keep quiet when I sense that something's not right, or unjust.


Maybe you can. But that doesn't make you better than anyone else. It means you either care far too much about what other people think of you in relation to what you say, or that you simply lack the spine to say it.


But hey, that's just my opinion, right?

1 comment:

  1. TL;DR

    Kidding, good to see you blogging again dude. Also, remember not all churches are gay bashing, obnoxious bullshitters. Like, the Episcopalians, we're alright ;)

    Speak soon. Jean & Luke (ETA 35 days from now!)

    ReplyDelete